Monday, February 19, 2007

Bicycle-Björn

Wild van fietsen
Wild van fietsen,
originally uploaded by 't Beertje.
I bought a bike last Saturday! It's old, it's green and it's lovely.

I picked it up from a guy who lives in a small village just east of Sint Niklaas, the repair and restoration of bikes is a bit of a hobby of his. So my bike's in a perfect state: bad enough to be fairly cheap and less likely to get stolen, but good enough to get from A to B with some pride and grace.

I've already covered quite a few kilometres on my bike, and my thighs hurt alot. Still, it's totally worth it. From my place to the city centre it's about 10 minutes' drive (Ghent is a maze of one-way streets if you're on a car, so the quickest route takes you away from the centre before you get there), plus five to infinity minutes to find a parking space. By bike I can take more scenic routes and it only takes about 15 minutes. Gent is quite flat like most of Flanders, which adds to the pleasure.

The cobblestones are a bitch though.

2 comments:

Missy Blue Eyes said...

og hvar er mynd af hjólinu???

Anonymous said...

these bloody cobble stones!

edinborg er æði og ekkert nema götur með 'cobble stones' en það er killer að reyna að ganga á háum hælum. i've thrown mine away haha!