Monday, February 12, 2007

Registering

De Lijn
De Lijn,
originally uploaded by 't Beertje.
Orders: Go to the stadhuis (city hall) and register.
One afternoon just before 4 I drove to the city center and entered the lovely picturesque stadhuis close to where I used to live. Turns out that's not at all the right place for me to be, I should go to the administrative division, close to the main bus station, Zuid. Furthermore, it is open from 08-13, so I'm way too late. It is open on Saturdays, though (handy!) so I can go then.

Updated orders: Go to the stadhuis, administrative division on Saturday and register.
So on Saturday I enter the administrative division shortly after they open and take a number. There are more than 40 people ahead of me. 2 hours later it is my turn and I find out that not only is it not possible to register on Saturdays, but I'm in the wrong place. Because I live south of the railwaystation I should go to the dienstcentrum for my area. The dienstcentrum is at Rerum Novarumplein, just a few blocks from my house. It is not open on Saturdays.

Updated orders: Go to the dienstcentrum by Rerum Novarumplein on Monday and register.
I did and it worked!

Now I have to wait for a policeman to visit to check if I actually live where I say I live, and I'm formally a resident of Gent. Huzzah!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of your luck with Ikea ;)

't beertje said...

Don't you talk to me about IKEA... *grr*

;)