Friday, March 30, 2007

White Socks

We had a heated (not really) discussion about white socks at the dinner table last night, where I seemed to be the only one not overly concerned about them.

I'm wondering if I somehow missed the meeting where white socks were deemed completely unacceptable, or if this is maybe just a Belgian pet peeve.

Everyone but me seemed to fall in to the "I would rather wear my underwear on the outside of my pants than wear white socks" category, while I'm in the softer "I don't wear them but I know people who do and we tend to like the same films" category.

To be clear, I don't mind people not liking white socks, but the general level of complete and utter repulsiveness expressed by my dining buddies - and my contrasting feeling of not caring so much - made me think I may have some catching up to do.

But first I need to confirm if this is a world wide opinion, or just something the small group of friends that got together last night has in common by pure coincidence.

The small group of friends, with the exception of one, that is.

So, gentle reader, pray tell, what category would you put yourself in when it comes to white socks?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where have you been all these years??? Not just a Belgian thing...

Missy Blue Eyes said...

Bjössi Bjössi Bjössi...tsk tsk tsk...

White socks can only be worn when wearing a sports outfit. Occasionally it can be acceptable to wear white socks when wearing jeans and sneakers...

Anonymous said...

Yapp, white socks are for sports, period. Or perhaps to go with a pair of white trousers in summer.

White socks with anything else is a sign of white trash where I come from.

I don't know why.

einar said...

Mom must have messed us up good. I´ve been in the same situation...acctually I was putting on my white socks when I read this...honestly

Anonymous said...

I remember that afternoon last year in Ghent, when we were sitting outside in the sun and a guy with shorts, sandals and white socks passed by, and I said, "It must be a German." Truly, in summer you can see here a lot of guys wearing white socks - but mostly g u y s. So I wonder if it's a guys thing? :-) Anyway, I actually don't care that much about other people's clothes, but white socks... it's absolutely bah!

JJ said...

White socks with other than sports gear: Geeky and kind of cute... not very sexy though...

Anonymous said...

I just learned about the white socks thing too and I'm a woman to boot. To answer the country question, I'm in the U.S.

I am still having a hard time caring, though.

I always thought white was pretty neutral.

If you want to get up and arms about socks, wait until I wear the pink ones with little moo-cows flying on them.

I am a geek, though. I admit it.

We've been talking about it on my blog, so I decided to google and see what the world thinks. So far, people seem pretty split on the issue.

I think it's funny what people are so passionate about other people wearing white socks.