Thursday, January 18, 2007

Not quite

The plan didn't really work out, I ended up arriving in Denmark 3 days and 8 hours late. This included arriving in Bergen three times: once from the Faeroes, once after sailing for nine hours towards Denmark only to turn around because of the weather, and once when we had to turn around when the engine failed.

I won't go into too many details about the trip now, but to alleviate the boredom of waiting for the weather to clear up I had some truly inspiring conversations like this one:
Location: Somewhere on the way from the Faeroes to Norway.
Passenger (pensive): "My geography isn't very good. What ocean is this we're sailing on?"
Me: "This would be the North-Atlantic."
Passenger: "Ah. And the Mediterranean?"
Me: "Uhm... Well, it's a sea, not an ocean. And it's to the south of here, you know, between southern Europe and Africa, reaches all the way to Turkey and..."
Passenger: "Oh, and the Indian Ocean? That's in Africa, right?"
Me: "... it's close to India. India is in Asia."
But I made it in the end, and now I'm in Belgium starting my new job. :)

2 comments:

Missy Blue Eyes said...

alveg merkileg óheppni greyið mitt!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Belgium! All I can think of is didn't you get seasick out on sea with all this bad weather???
Sad I didn't get a chance to say goodbye but happy your where you are! ;)